People who say that award ceremonies don’t mean anything are just plain wrong. If they didn’t mean anything, people wouldn’t be getting so riled up over the exclusion of people of colour this year, and for good goddam reason.
Although, credit where it’s due, 62 women (nearly one third of this year’s nominees) have been nominated for Oscars in 2020, a record year for women. A notable woman absent from Best Original Song though – Beyoncé.
Beyoncé’s “Spirit” was included on The Lion King (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) and The Lion King: The Gift and a Best Original Song nod would have marked her first Oscar nomination. But alas, not this year.
Thom Yorke also failed to earn his first nomination, though it was his second time being shortlisted.
In all fairness, the songs that made the cut are phenomenal, and while this is Bernie Taupin & Elton John’s year to lose with “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman, take a look at the full list of Best Original song nominations below.
- Randy Newman – I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away (Toy Story 4)
- Elton John / Bernie Taupin – (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again (Rocketman)
- Diane Warren – I’m Standing With You (Breakthrough)
- Kristen Anderson-Lopez / Robert Lopez – Into the Unknown (Frozen II)
- Joshuah Brian Campbell / Cynthia Erivo – Stand Up (Harriet)