Few bands have as great a live reputation as The Waterboys.
From their mid-1980s “big music” period through the influential mix of Celtic, gospel and country on their classic Fisherman’s Blues and Room to Roam tours, to the hundreds of brilliant shows accompanying the rootsy, soulful triptych of albums This is the Sea, A Pagan Place and Fisherman’s Blues – The Waterboys have consistently blended tightness, inspiration and improvisation to reach heights of performance few other acts can.
The 2020 version of the band features the established core of Mike Scott (vocals, guitar, piano), Steve Wickham (electric fiddle), Memphis keyboard great “Brother” Paul Brown, ace British drummer Ralph Salmins and funky Irish bassman Aongus Ralston.
Meanwhile the relevance and popular reach of The Waterboys has never been greater. Their songs have been used in key shows such as Ray Donovan and The Affair, as well as being performed by artists as varied as U2, War on Drugs and Ellie Goulding, who scored a top 3 UK hit with “How Long Will I Love You” – Prince and U2 who sang “The Whole Of The Moon” onstage; Fiona Apple who recorded it last year; and classic singers Tom Jones and Rod Stewart. Irish magazine Hot Press also listed The Waterboys as the best rock ‘n’ roll band in the world.
The Waterboys’ music shows no sign of fading, and the very best place to experience it is live. Come and feel the fire.
The Waterboys live in Cape Town
- Date: Friday, 3 April
- Venue: Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens, Cape Town
- Ticket Price: R595 (excl booking fee)
- Ticket Link: https://www.webtickets.co.za/v2/event.aspx?itemid=1500754979
- Times: Gates open at 5pm / Show starts at 7pm / Event done by 10pm
The Waterboys live in Johannesburg
- Date: Sunday, 5 April
- Venue: Casalinga, Rocky Ridge Road, Muldersdrift, Johannesburg
- Ticket Price: R495 (excl booking fee)
- **Kids 12yrs old and under get in for free
- Ticket Link: https://breakout.howler.co.za/events/the-waterboys-live-in-johannesburg-dccd
- Times: Gates open at 11am / Event done by 6pm